Saturday, April 4, 2009

Tire-Bouchon?


Near Lacoste in a little place called Menerbes*. In such little place, where I can't tell one end from the other as it is all in a valley of farmland, there is a magical man named Yves Rousset-Rouard, who created the Musee du Tire-Bouchon. 

The wine culture here is huge. Of course, being as I don't drink wine, I have not been joining in on it. Not because I'm against wine, not because I'm cheap. I like the idea of it, I like the smell of it, the colors, the land, the creation, the culture, all of that, but I am in the opinion that it tastes kinda not good. It's pretty gross. It makes me squint and take tiny sips and then put off swallowing it until it's the temperature of my spit, and then I squeeze it down my throat while making a weird face.
Now, back to the tirebouchon, which are VERY IMPORTANT HERE!
Tire bouchon are corkscrews. And there is a museum of them. Over 1,000 of these little bottle openers.
Given, most people think of corkscrews as just simple spiral wire like devices that allow you to drink away your sorrows, but these go beyond that.
These things were awesome.
They were all different metals, woods, animal feet (wat?), tree branches, plastics, you name it. I somehow didn't end up with a photo of the one that was literally an animal hoof, including the fur. They had ones with penises, monks with the corkscrews where there crotches were, 1970s themes, corkscrews built into guns, into pocket knives, ones that reminded me of Shadow of Colossus, anchors, animal shapes,  it goes on and on.







Oddly enough, I have to say that out of all of them, the one I would probably buy for myself, if the situation came about where I would need one, it would be one of the simplest ones they had.
Call me odd, but these two caught my attention right away. I have to say they were my favorites. Weeird.



No comments:

Post a Comment